Monday 20 February 2012

People seem to forget it,

but there is no easier way to make someones day than paying them a compliment, seriously, one little compliment. I was thinking about it the other day, and being an avid food lover, I compared it to eating, (note, I'm typing this with no real intent to post it so if I end up publishing this post it will be a little badly written). Getting back to the point, compliments are like food in the sense that (stick with me here, this idea is easier to think than to type) but when we're hungry, we want food, and what do we do to get food, we make an effort to get it. Its the same with compliments, if someone is feeling a little bit low, they want some sort of recognition that their existence matters, I am in no way saying that someone is going to go to McDonalds and ask for a compliment combo with a side of flirting, but they want some sort of assurance that what they are doing is appreciated.

As a test to prove this theory correct,I complimented a few people, and this was my favourite one, because it was to someone who totally deserved to be fed one.

At my work there is a girl that often comes in by herself to see movies, I'm going to call her Rachel, because all the Rachel's I know more or less fit this description, she quiet, well mannered, and really easy to deal with, however, last friday night she came in with a group of girls who were clearly a lot more outgoing/confident than her. One girl (who was in my opinion, the slut of the group, who I'm naming Bianca) made a joke about Rachel being ginger, Rachel quickly went quiet, her face turned red, and she seemed a lot less happy to be there. So when she came up to the counter to ask for her ticket, I asked her who does her hair, and how much she thought it'd cost to get mine to that colour, because I thought it looked fantastic. Her friends quickly shut up, and Rachel seemed really happy that someone had noticed something unique about her and instead of putting her down for it, applauded her on it. When Bianca came up, she seemed extremely confident that I was going to compliment her on her beauty, or her hair, or something else any generic heterosexual male would usually say to her, I'm assuming it'd be some awful pick up line along the lines of "Hey, when the movie finishes can I take you out in my car and we can go for a ride" or something ridiculous like that, I gave her the ticket, and said "next please", she seemed shocked at the idea of Rachel being more appealing than her, so I've decided to label the Bianca's of the world: Over eaters. I don't mean that they're morbidly obese or something like that, I'm talking about the compliment side of this post, which is taking so much longer to write that I had anticipated, anyway, she's ~eaten~ so many compliments that she just expects them, where as girls like Bianca are the under eaters, again, with compliments, not food, she hasn't had enough compliments, and she's genuinely the  nicest customer I serve.

When I came back yesterday to work, my boss beckoned me into her office, and told me that Rachel had thanked her for hiring such wonderful staff, especially me, which to be honest felt freaking awesome, knowing that one sentence could've made such a lovely person so happy. Basically what I'm getting at (in an extremely long and slightly confusing way) is this, why don't you feed someone a compliment, just one, and see how fantastic it is to see the look on their face when they catch sight of your meal.

Fuck, I sound like a total twat with all this "compliment combo" shit, but you get my drift, be nice to people!

No comments:

Post a Comment